Henry Benedict Stuart, created Duke of York in the Jacobite Peerage by his father the titular King James III in 1725. Living in Italy as a cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church, he called himself the "Cardinal Duke of York" (or "Cardinal called Duke of York") for most of his life and was recognised as such by the Papacy, Modena, France, and Spain.
Richard of York was born on 22 September 1411, the son of Richard, Earl of Cambridge (1385–1415), and his wife Anne Mortimer (1388–1411). Both his parents were descended from King Edward III of England (1312–1377): his father was son of Edmund, 1st Duke of York (founder of the House of York), fourth surviving son of Edward III, whereas his mother Anne Mortimer was a great-granddaughter ...
About The Duke of York. On 13 January 2022, Buckingham Palace made a statement regarding The Duke of York. With The Queen's approval and agreement, The Duke of York’s military affiliations and Royal patronages have been returned to The Queen, and The Duke will continue to not carry out public duties.
About the Digital Collection » The Ad*Access Project, funded by the Duke Endowment "Library 2000" Fund, presents images and information for over 7,000 advertisements printed in U.S. and Canadian newspapers and magazines between 1911 and 1955.
Agricultural History now available. The first Duke University Press-published issue of Agricultural History is now available. The journal publishes articles that explore agriculture and rural life over time, in all geographies and among all people.
In 1923 he went to New York City and soon became a successful bandleader. In 1927 he secured an important engagement at the Cotton Club in Harlem, a section of New York City, and remained there (aside from occasional tours) until 1932. Ellington's band made its first European trip in 1932.
The Duke of York’s Theatre first opened in 1892 under the name Trafalgar Square Theatre, but was later renamed in honour of King George V. Whilst it has undergone several transformations over the course of its history, it has always maintained its original character as designed by architect Walter Emden and is a Grade II listed building.