Yahoo Search Busca da Web

Resultado da Busca

  1. Queen's College, North Adelaide. Queen's College was a privately owned and run school for boys on Barton Terrace, North Adelaide. It ran continuously from 1891 to 1949, an Australian record for a proprietary [a] boys' school. [1]

  2. sahistoryhub.history.sa.gov.au › places › queens-collegeQueen's College | SA History Hub

    • School Management
    • Scholars
    • School Closure
    • Architecture
    • Significance

    The school began in ad hoc fashion in 1897. Christ Church School building in Jeffcott Street was let for school use to Miss Miller in 1879 and then to a series of ministers between 1880 and 1891, the last, Reverent T. Field (1883-91), selling the goodwill to Messrs Lindon and Heineman who were to open Queen’s School. Queen’s School maintained a con...

    By 1928 former pupils had gained six Rhodes scholarships and several other old scholars had gained acclaim in their field of knowledge. These old scholars included Professor Walter Duffield, the first director of the Commonwealth Observatory in Canberra, Dr Grenfell Price, and the physicist Sir William Lawrence Bragg who was the youngest-ever Nobel...

    In common with most other private schools during the Depression, Queen’s College suffered heavily in the 1930s. Although it survived until 1949, the school simply could not overcome the major financial obstacle of minimum enrolments, and the school was eventually closed and sold. Memorabilia such as school honour rolls, cricket shields and scholars...

    This purpose-built school building which included classrooms and laboratories was designed in 1892 by F.J. Naish, architect of Elder Hall at the University of Adelaide (see PL27) and Ambassadors Hotel in King William Street (see CBD26). Naish’s tender notice ‘… for the erection of Queen’s School, Barton Terrace’ appeared in the South Australia Regi...

    The house is an important contributory element on Barton Terrace because of its domestic scale and style. It reinforces the essential residential character of the streetscape.

  3. Queen's School, later Queen's College, 149 Barton Tce, North Adelaide (1892–1949) was founded by J. H. Lindon and E. L. Heinemann, both ex-St Peter's College, taking over the bulk of the students of Rev. Thomas Field's Adelaide Collegiate School. Queenstown Commercial School; Miss Roland's school on Tavistock Street

  4. This area contains the Women's and Children's Hospital, the Memorial Hospital, St Peter's Cathedral, St. Mark's College, the Cathedral hotel (popular with cricket fans due its proximity to the Adelaide Oval), and the Queen's Head hotel (the oldest Adelaide pub, renovated in 2003 [citation needed]).

    • 5K
    • 6,823 (SAL 2021)
  5. Established as Queen's School in 1874 in Jeffcott Street, the School later became known as Queen's College. It closed in 1949. The school reflects aspects of the development and change in private school education. The villa-like, purpose-built structure at the school's second location at Barton Terrace, was built in 1892-3 with little ...

  6. Books. History of Queen's College North Adelaide 1883-1949. Brian Edward O'Connor. University of Adelaide, Graduate School of Education, 2002 - Education - 224 pages. Presents the history...

  7. Queen's College North Adelaide was the longest lasting proprietary boys' college in Australia, closing in 1946. North Adelaide was the birthplace of William Lawrence Bragg, co-recipient of the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1915. Montefiore Hill provides an excellent vantage point to look over the City of Adelaide.